One of my favorite topics to discuss is Women Led Business Teams. I come from a strong line of women in my family. My grandmother was in charge of the tribute office at one of the largest hospitals in the nation. She was a dynamo. My parents owned the largest independent bookstore in the United States, but it was my mother who did the heavy lifting of buying half the merch, community outreach, and team management. They eventually sold the store and the systems for millions. I’ve always said there were no handouts in my family, except for the biggest handout…DRIVE! For that, I’m very thankful to be born with that gift. That gift separates me from the majority of the population. We’re all wired a certain way and I guess my motivation and love for success is my source code. It’s a love beyond all other loves!
I have been in charge of my own business for for 10 years. Tracy, my vice president and second in command joined me 9 years ago. Toika and Sharon, my directors of the buyer and seller divisions both joined me 5 years ago. This executive leadership team navigated rough waters as well as claimed victory to what seemed like insurmountable odds. Along the way, it’s made for some unbelievable experiences. We have stuck together like glue.
In the real estate industry, you’ll have days where you’re not sure if you’ll make it to the end of day with breath in your lungs. Other days, you’ll feel like the goals are simply too easy to reach. In both cases, I’ve needed the women on my leadership team to get us through it all. My women leaders are incredibly special!
Top 10 Reasons Why My Women Led Business Team is the Best:
- Urgency. We understand it and we live it. We know how to go from strategy to implementation to achievement of results.
- We humbly learn from more advanced female entrepreneurs. My Mega-Mentor, Barbara Corcoran sold her real estate firm for over 60 Million dollars and that’s where we’d like to be some day. That said, we work with her every year to continue to develop our plan.
- We are fascinated with business and with our growth. We’ve grown so much in the last decade, but the excitement lies in the future. We love playing the game of business (as long as we win) and celebrate each mile marker of growth, even if there’s millions of miles to go. It’s the journey, not the destination, right?
- We are positive by nature and take great pride in fulfilling the needs of our team members.
- We invite a constructive open dialogue and a collaborative ecosystem. We conduct focus groups with our team members, documenting feedback, and delivering results based on what we’ve learned. In this kind of push/pull environment, everyone wins.
- We have a “Check your sh#t at the door policy.” Understanding your energy, negative or positive impacts the entire team. Negative is not welcome here. No example needed.
- We intentionally employ a leadership team with a myriad of strengths to meet the needs of our entire team and the growth we want to achieve. We spend the majority of our time with the top 20% not the bottom 20%.
- We are laser focused on setting goals. We maintain that focus to achieve them too. I’ve been a part of companies/brokerages where setting the goal was the only execution. We never wanted to be that way with my vision the only eyesight we relied on. My goals are congruent with what the team’s goals are too, thus our goals encompass everyone’s vision.
- We are each committed to being one spoke on the wheel. The sum is greater than the parts and we truly operate that way.
- We take the time to form the foundational relationships by spending time together outside of the office. We are a close-knit group. We live team life. Together, we celebrate birthdays, celebrate our kids’ successes, and attend both weddings and funerals. Our personalities are different and we frequently disagree. However, that’s what makes any kind of leadership team successful. I wouldn’t want three other “me’s” in the mix. We’d never come to a consensus and a negotiated solution every time! That’s why I love the variety of opinion and solution based approach. We are loyal. We are loyal to each other and we are loyal to every member of the team!